Don’t Just Re-Purpose; Re-Orient Your Content
Let’s take these tenets as givens to achieve the Dot Com lifestyle, because they are:
- You need to establish your own web presence where you have control; and
- You need to publish original content to better ensconce yourself as a brand.
As the ultimate objective of the Dot Com lifestyle is to reclaim your time, one of the vital tasks in your business regimen is to maximize the utility of your content.
Of course, the most common means of extending the reach of your content’s readership is to repurpose it.
The results can be quite rewarding when done methodically.
However, repurposing is a linear exercise. It’s directing readers to the same revenue stream. This is a good start, but your content can do more.
I’m a firm believer in developing multiple revenue streams for a brand, simply because I don’t want to put all of my financial eggs in one basket. My objective is to offer a variety of products and services to the same niche on different platforms.
As an example of how we re-orient content to accomplish this goal, let’s look at our Daily Player brand, which ranks first on Google for the sports snark niche.
- We’ve recently opened an online store targeted for sports fans.
- Its hub is on the Shopify platform, and
- We’ve selected a template that features a blog option.
Our formula for assembling each blog entry is bare-bones basic:
- Grab the opening text of an article in your site’s archives;
- Convert the text to evergreen if it isn’t already;
- Add a transition from the source article to the product; and
- Describe a store product and list its price.
Once you do this a few times, you’ll find it only takes 10-15 minutes from start to finish, and the results can be well worth it.
Let’s walk through the process, using a hockey entry published at The Daily Player:
- Click on the teaser below to view the original article.
- Note: We’ll convert the blog entry we created from this article to an evergreen past tense as part of our routine archive maintenance once there’s an agreement.
- We re-titled it Go! For the Gold; re-titling your blog entry is optional.
- We copied the article’s introductory text and first graphic.
- Our transition text includes a backlink to The Daily Player and the source article.
Note: We also include a backlink for the store itself, as the primary purpose of the finished product is to be posted elsewhere. We actually don’t expect many visitors to click on the store’s blog.
- We segue into the product and add a graphic of it.
Note: More text follows the graphic, but the purpose here is to present the element.
All that’s left then is to post your re-oriented content on your store’s blog. The template format we use allows for an excerpt to be included in the thumbnail and an SEO entry. All we do is copy the opening lines.
The template does the rest. Click on the thumbnail to view the finished product:
Finally, we post the thumbnail on our various social media outlets. Odds are we’ll both reach our core followers and draw clicks from those who haven’t discovered our site or store yet.
How does the latter happen? In part, by sharing, which we facilitate. Anytime anyone makes a purchase, we provide a success graphic that enables the buyer to post the acquisition on his or her timeline.
Incidentally, almost 80% of our purchases occur via mobile, so that’s how the optimization of our store template is prioritized.
Who knew a hockey article on a snarky sports site could help sell sunglasses?
That’s the magic of re-orienting content.
Kjell Sherman, Manager – The Norra Ljusen Trust
Norra Ljusen — pronounced norra YOU-sun — is Swedish for Northern Lights. My name, Kjell, is pronounced shell to English speakers.
You can view a short video about how I entered the exciting world of online entrepreneurship on the home page of our Better Life Focus site. It’s dedicated to motivated marketers and provides trending Dot Com news, information, and entertainment for motivated entrepreneurs who commit to take action in their quest to reclaim their time by becoming and remaining financially independent via e-commerce.
If you’re committed to online success, we’d like to welcome you to the Dot Com lifestyle!